South Whidbey Record


Forty-five years of manning the polls

South Whidbey Record Whidbey News Times
February 13, 2013 · Updated 2:47 PM

Dodie Hanby has been working Island County during election time for 45 years. / Nathan Whalen / The Record

A lot has changed since Dodie Hanby started working at the polls.

Gone are the days of newspaper-sized ballots and performing counts that stretched into the early hours of the morning. In its place are weeks of preparing ballots prior to the election by scanning so they can be instantly counted by a push of the button on a computer shortly after polls close.

Through those and many other changes have taken place over the decades, Hanby has been a constant fixture during election time.

Hanby was recently recognized for 45 years as an election worker. She received a certificate from the Washington Secretary of State’s office and she received a pendant containing an early “voted” sticker.

She started as an election worker under then county Auditor Joe Libbey. Her first post was manning the polling location at the Greenbank Progressive Club.

“We started with huge paper ballots that looked like a newspaper,” Hanby said. Back then, people from each party helped with the reading and counting of the ballots. She also worked over the years at the elections office in Coupeville along with polling places, back when there were polling places, at Trinity Lutheran Church, the Clinton Senior Center, the Oak Harbor School District administrative office and Clover Valley Elementary.

Over the years she has seen the process change from the ballots that were filled out by pencil, to the venerable and sometimes controversial punchcards to the current mail-in ballots that have been used during every election in recent years, most recently Tuesday, Feb. 12, for South Whidbey and Oak Harbor school elections.

In the old days, the ballot count would begin in the afternoon behind locked doors, but results wouldn’t be posted until after the polls closed. Blackboards lined the courthouse hallways and election workers would post results throughout the night. These days the count is posted on the website minutes after polls close.

She noted how the job has changed over the decades. When the polling places were open, she would have to show up before the polls opened at 7 a.m. and had to work past 8 p.m. when the polls closed.

“It was a 14-hour day,” Hanby said.

Now the polling places are gone. Most voters cast their ballot by mail or by dropping them off at one of four places throughout the county.

She was busy early last week working alongside other elections staff processing the ballots coming in for the school elections.

“She does not hesitate to share her knowledge and experience with others. She’s a great asset for us,” Island County Auditor Sheilah Crider said. She added that Hanby’s sense of civility shows in the kindness and pleasant nature she displays with co-workers and with voters.

When longtime elections supervisor Loann Gulick came out of retirement to help with the November general election, Crider said the auditor’s office benefited from 80 years of experience between the two.

Hanby has been living on Whidbey Island for 60 years. She and her husband, Ray, lived in Coupeville for one year before moving to Greenbank. The couple moved to Whidbey Island when Ray took a job at the Navy base.

She hopes to continue working for the auditor’s office during busy election times with her co-workers.

“It’s a good group. We work well together,” Hanby said.

She doesn’t have any plans to retire soon.

“I’m going to keep doing this for as long as they let me,” she said with a laugh.


Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us