- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
March 19 | 50 years ago today on South Whidbey
From page 1 of the March 19, 1964 edition of the South Whidbey Record.
Elderly folks lose home in blaze Saturday night
“An elderly couple lost all their possessions except the clothes on their backs when a raging fire destroyed their two-story, nine-room home on Heggenes Road late Saturday evening. There was no insurance.
The fire victims were Will A. Darling, 79, owner of the house, and his sister, Mrs. Edith Seigman, 83, who made her home with him.”
Local soldier home on leave after South Vietnam tour
“A South Whidbey soldier who two weeks ago was helping care for combat-wounded soldiers in South Vietnam is resting at his home this week and looking forward to another two weeks of furlough before reporting to his next duty station.
The returned serviceman is James Stafford, 19, son of Mrs. Esther Stafford of Langley.”
Heart campaign totals reported
“Collections during the February Heart Fund drive totaled more than $522, general chairman Bob Porter reported this week.
Community totals, and the names of the community chairmen who handled the fund raising, were as follows: Langley, $92.35, Lucille Smith; Sandy Point, $52.10, Doris Stockholm; Freeland, $152.69, Anne Petro; Bayview, $40.50, Judy Campbell; Maxwelton, $37.50, Elisabeth Green; Saratoga, $30.60, Delores Davis and Clinton, $77.16, Doris Leidholm.”
Editor Ace Comstock thanked Leo Lee for 14 years of service on the Langley City Council. Among his accomplishments, Comstock noted, “Twenty years from now, you can look at First and Second streets and know that they might not be paved, except for your efforts.”