- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
June 25 | 50 years ago
The following are segments of stories in the June 25, 1964 edition of the South Whidbey Record, then titled the Whidbey Island Record.
Island hospital may call for bond issue
“Tentative plans call for a bond issue of $700,000 in the general election for the proposed new Whidbey Island Public Hospital, according to hospital Commissioner James M. Hay.
“Applications are going in this week for Hill Burton funds, federal funds, which are dispensed by the state. If funds are approved, 40 percent or $360,000 of the cost will be paid out of Hill Burton funds.
“Another cheerful aspect in the financial pictures is that part of the cost will be defrayed for a public health center by public health sources.”
Youngsters eat seeds; treatment fast, rugged
“Worried parents, the local ambulance operator, a druggist and Dr. Don Purdy saved three young island visitors from the possible dire consequences of eating poison seeds Tuesday but made the youngsters mighty sick in the process.
“The youngsters were Mary Kramer, 7-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Kramer of Seattle, Eric Salamonsen, 8, and Told Salamonsen, 5, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Salamonsen of Edmonds.
“Mr. Kramer, a Seattle councilman, and his wife own a summer place at Mutiny Bay. It was here, just before noon, Tuesday, that the youngsters ate some seeds from wild vetch plants.
“Mrs. Kramer discovered them doing it and a neighbor said she thought the seeds were poison. A call to the poison control center at Seattle confirmed that the vetch seeds are indeed poison, bringing on high fever and paralysis.”
Baby chokes on Coke bottle cap
“Coke bottle cap and a penny which stuck in his throat Wednesday afternoon nearly cost the life of two-month-old Wade Culp, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rodney Culp and grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Strom.
“After the baby choked on the bottle cap, put in its mouth by an older child, he was rushed to town by his mother and grandmother, with Mrs. Strom applying mouth-to-mouth resuscitation all the way from the Strom home at Deer Lake.
“The bottle cap, and a penny that was in it, fortunately stuck together and Dr. Don Purdy was successful in removing it in about 20 minutes of hard work.”