- About Us
Langley City Council blinks, takes back vote against Langley Passage housing project
LANGLEY - Facing the continued threat of legal action from the developer of Langley Passage, the Langley City Council unanimously rescinded its vote to shoot down the controversial Langley Passage project at a special meeting on Tuesday.
Council members noted correspondence from the developer's attorney that came after the council rejected the 20-home subdivision in November. Doug Kelly, an attorney for Whidbey Neighborhood Partners, sent the city a letter late last year that claimed the council had violated its own municipal code when it allowed too many appeals to be filed and reviewed by the city on the proposed project in the city's Edgecliff neighborhood.
Council members said they were encouraged, however, by Kelly's statements that the developer was willing to work through stormwater runoff, sewer issues and other concerns that led to the rejection of the subdivision.
"We are so close to an outcome that would enable us all to move forward and save us a whole lot of grief," said Councilman Robert Gilman.
With the previous vote to deny the preliminary plan rescinded, the council can now consider changes to the project that could mean a new sewer line to serve the project.
Langley Passage has been in the permit pipeline since 2006. The project has been opposed by neighbors to the property, and the Whidbey Environmental Action Network, who have both said the development will put the unstable bluff along Edgecliff at risk.