News

Motor burns out in Langley Middle School power outage

The HVAC motor at Langley Middle School burned out recently, causing a good deal of smoke that triggered the fire alarm.

A fire never erupted, however, and no students were in the building.

School district officials said the alarm went off at about 6 a.m. Thursday, March 8. Power went out briefly when a transformer on Edgecliff Drive burst.

The school district’s transportation and maintenance director Kevin Lungren said a squirrel likely ran too close to the transformer and caused the short.

Students, staff and faculty were without heat in the kitchen and cafeteria during the day. The motor was replaced the next day.

EMAIL NEWSLETTERS

Latest news, top stories, and community events,
delivered to your inbox.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.