- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
South Whidbey residents offered smoke, carbon monoxide detectors
South Whidbey Fire/EMS has smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are available at no charge to local residents.
These units are paid for by a Department of Homeland Security FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Fire Prevention Grant. Residents interested in obtaining a detector can visit their local fire station on the first Tuesday of each month between 7 and 8 p.m.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the risk of a house fire resulting in a fatality is cut in half by having at least one working smoke alarm in the home. In addition to having a working smoke detector, all members of the household should know their escape routes and have a designated meeting place. Practicing a home fire escape drill makes everyone more prepared to safely respond to a real fire.
Smoke detectors should be tested monthly and replaced every 10 years.
Carbon monoxide units notify residents if carbon monoxide reaches an unsafe level within a home and it should be evacuated. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless toxic gas generated from incomplete combustion within fuel burning appliances and automobiles.
“Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each floor and maintained in those homes that use propane, have a generator, or an attached garage,” said South Whidbey Fire/EMS Deputy Chief Jon Beck.
For additional information, visit www.swfe.org and select “Smoke and CO Detectors.” More information may also be found by following South Whidbey Fire/EMS on Facebook and Twitter.