- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Discovery Place shed fires damages home
A fire that started in a shed spread to part of the nearby house on Discovery Place near the Useless Bay Golf & Country Club on May 19.
The column of smoke was visible for miles, and first responders arrived to find flames from a shed reaching higher than the residents’ two-story home, and the home on fire.
South Whidbey Fire/EMS officials estimated firefighting efforts by both citizens and firefighters protected 75 percent of the home and approximately 85 percent of the residents’ contents.
The first fire engine arrived on scene within nine minutes of being dispatched that afternoon. A total of 25 South Whidbey Fire/EMS volunteer responders and four personnel from Central Whidbey Fire worked at the incident. Central Whidbey Fire personnel were called to provide South Whidbey responders with some relief due to the widespread efforts made to protect the home from further damage.
Residents and neighbors did what they could to help the first responders, providing them with important information and extinguishing efforts.
Efforts by emergency responders at the scene included the initial attack of the fully involved shed fire, as well as its extension to the outside of the home, an interior fire attack on the second floor of the home, staffing a standby rescue team for firefighters working inside the fire, efforts to carefully protect and salvage the residents’ belongings, and a rehab station to ensure the safe rotation and recovery of firefighters during the incident.
“Firefighters made an interior attack, the riskiest form of firefighting, and knocked the fire down,” said Fire Chief Rusty Palmer in a news release.
“The fire was burning in the attic space and was difficult to find, yet interior crews found it and stopped it. We greatly appreciate the assistance of the citizens involved and the efforts by each of our volunteers as well. It is their efforts that stopped this fire before it reached the majority of the home and the residents’ belongings.”