- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Trailer fire leaves family homeless
A burning candle left unattended in a singlewide trailer home made a family homeless Wednesday.
The candle started draperies on fire, a fire that eventually spread and consumed the entire Saratoga Road home. According to Fire District 3 officials, the accidental blaze started at about 4:15 p.m. and forced a woman and her children outside as firefighters saved what they could.
Unfortunately, what they saved wasn't much. By the time FD3 firefighters arrived, most of the trailer home was engulfed in flames, leaving Langley-area residents Sparrow and Richard Harris without a home. Almost every room in the home was charred or soaking wet by the time the flames were under control.
Though Sparrow Harris was at home with her children at the time, the fire spread too quickly for anyone to stop it. No one was injured in the blaze.
While firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, which, ironically, was in a home across the street from the recently abandoned old Saratoga fire station, neighbor Kate Poss was talking to other neighbors to figure out a way to help the Harris family. She later said that those who want to help the Harrises may do so by making a check out in their name and taking it to Whidbey Island Bank in Langley.
FD3 moved its fire trucks out of the old Saratoga station last year to a new station about a mile closer to Langley.