High school boy collapses from drugs, huffing
June 25, 2008 · Updated 4:46 PM
A 16-year-old South Whidbey High School junior collapsed Thursday morning during the school's lunch period from what may have been earlier drug use.
According to Jan Smith, Island County Sheriff spokesman, the student may have used marijuana and may have been "huffing" or inhaling gasoline fumes. He passed out, Smith said, but later regained consciousness and was transported to Whidbey General Hospital.
The incident, which brought ambulances and EMT crews to the school near midday, occurred during lunch, when the student left the high school campus. He returned at about 11 a.m. collapsing outside the Commons area in the school's courtyard.
High school staff immediately called 911.
"We took the student to our health room where staff assisted him until medical personnel arrived," said Mike Johnson, the school's principal.
Island County Fire District 3 emergency medical technicians, Whidbey General Hospital paramedics and Island County Sheriff's deputies responded to the emergency call.
The student is in violation of the district's substance abuse policy which can result in a long term suspension from school. But with a serious effort at recovery, he could come back to school sooner rather than later.
"With drug rehabilitation and assessment, suspension time can be reduced," Johnson said.
As the student is a minor, no information about his condition upon arriving at Whidbey General Hospital could be obtained.
There is no criminal investigation by the Island County Sheriff's department at this time.