South Whidbey Record


Car, motorcycle crash in Freeland sends man to Harborview | CORRECTED

South Whidbey Record Langley, Clinton, arts and entertainment, features
August 12, 2013 · Updated 9:36 AM

South Whidbey Fire/EMS firefighters and emergency medical technicians inspect the scene of a car vs. motorcycle crash in Freeland on Tuesday afternoon. The motorcyclist was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center. / Ben Watanabe / The Record

A "local" man was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on Monday after colliding with a car on Highway 525 in Freeland.

The motorcyclist, described by a South Whidbey Fire/EMS deputy chief as "local," was northbound on Highway 525 when the driver of a Mercury sedan turned onto the highway from Freeland Avenue, in front of the oncoming motorcyclist.

The 2 p.m. crash cracked the car's windshield, knocked off the driver's side mirror and sent the motorcyclist tumbling onto the pavement.

The driver of the Mercury was not injured and denied medical assistance, said South Whidbey Fire/EMS Deputy Chief Mike Cotton.

Their identities were not immediately available by Washington State Patrol and were not released by South Whidbey Fire/EMS because of privacy laws.

Moments after the crash, Cotton arrived on scene as he was headed to the fire department's headquarters less than a half-mile away.

"I saw the car sideways and people standing around the motorcyclist," Cotton said.

He called in the crash and rushed to the injured man's side, urging him to stay still. Even then, the motorcyclist was worried about his Suzuki GSXR 750 motorcycle, which was a good sign in Cotton's opinion.

"I liked the fact that he was alert and conscious," Cotton said.

About 15 minutes after the crash, the motorcyclist was taken from the crash scene to a nearby drainage field where he was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center.

The helicopter, provided by Airlift Northwest, landed on the grassy area behind Payless Foods at 2:40 p.m. and took off about 15 minutes later.

Washington State Patrol Spokesman Trooper Mark Francis said the agency would not conduct a detailed investigation due to the lack of serious injuries.

A thorough investigation was made into the July 25 accident that claimed the life of Freeland resident Dennis Broce. He died after crashing his motorcycle into the side of Kevin O'Neill's 1998 Toyota 4Runner, which turned in front of him.

Unlike that collision, the condition of the injured man Tuesday, said Francis, appeared to be stable.

"I believe it's not going to be a serious injury," said Francis, based upon a brief state patrol report.

Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us