News

Neighbor snuffs burned bacon at Maxwelton beach house

A vigilant neighbor on Maxwelton Road noticed smoke coming from a nearby beach house Tuesday.

Luckily for the house’s owners and its renters, who had stepped out to take in the sunny weather and left bacon cooking on parchment paper in the oven, the neighbor is a retired firefighter, said Mike Cotton, a South Whidbey Fire/EMS deputy chief.

The bacon was left in the oven too long and eventually caught fire, thoroughly smoking the house.

“The fats in the food got hot enough in the oven that eventually it ignited,” Cotton said.

“Unfortunately we lost the bacon.”

The neighbor used his fire extinguisher to snuff out the flames.

District firefighters used an electric fan to blow smoke out of the Maxwelton Beach home and turned off power to the oven as a precaution, Cotton said.

No one was injured by the burned bacon or the smoke.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 17
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates