News

Fire burns Useless Bay garage; $70K in damages

The garage, attic and roof of a Useless Bay home was damaged by a fire on Friday night.

The home at 2358 Soundview Drive, owned by John and Cynthia Shelton, caught fire around 5:30 p.m. Sept. 20. According to an incident release by South Whidbey Fire/EMS, the fire started outside and residents believed they had extinguished the flames with a garden hose, but it had spread into the attic and roof. More firefighters were called to stop the blaze from spreading further.

No one was injured during the incident and firefighters salvaged the owner’s furniture, bicycles, pictures, and a stained glass window that were in the area of the fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be unintentional.

According to the release by South Whidbey Fire/EMS, the fire caused an estimated $70,000 in damages to the garage, attic, and roof.

A total of 25 firefighters, four fire engines, three water tenders and an ambulance responded to the incident.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 1 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates