Jury finds man guilty in stabbing case

A South End man was found guilty by a jury last week of assault in the second degree with a deadly weapon.

Anthony Carty, 28, was arrested for allegedly stabbing a girlfriend in Freeland on May 5.

It was the end to a case that had many twists and turns.

The defendant fired his lawyer a few weeks ago and planned to represent himself, said Island County Prosecutor Greg Banks. He then changed his mind the day before trial and his former attorney, with whom he claimed he had a conflict, was reappointed.

The grand finale of the case was no different. He was so unruly in court that he was ordered to be shackled throughout the trial, Banks said.

The charges stemmed from a domestic violence arrest.

According to court records, Carty and his girlfriend spent the night at her home on Bush Point Road.

When she woke up in the early morning, she found Carty pacing in the bedroom. He was holding a digital camera and telling the woman that she had cheated on him. She denied it.

Carty was also holding a kitchen steak knife, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

The victim told police that Carty held the knife up to her shoulder height and told her that if she tried “something funny” he would kill her, according to court records.

A struggle ensued and Carty stabbed her in the leg two times. The woman was trying to get away from the bed, but Carty pushed her back and punched her in the head and side of her face, records say.

The court records also hinted at prior violent behavior by Carty. The records stated that the victim knew from “prior violent outbursts” that she had to talk to him to calm him down. So she did, and Carty took the knife into the kitchen where he washed it off in the sink. He calmed down and the woman gave him a ride into Freeland.

Evan Tingstad, the Island County Sheriff’s deputy who met the victim at the South Whidbey office of the Citizens Against Domestic Abuse (CADA), wrote in his report that he saw a

3/8-inch stab wound on her inner thigh and a ½-inch stab wound on her outer thigh. He also noticed swelling and bruising to her left eye.

Tingstad collected the blood-stained pants that she said she had worn during the attack and the steak knife that the victim said Carty had used to stab her, according to the court documents.

The evidence was sufficient for the Island County Prosecutor’s Office to charge the man on May 19 with second-degree assault with a deadly weapon and harassment/threats to kill.

A date for the sentencing has not been set. Deputy prosecutor Patrick McKenna, who was assigned to the case, could not be reached for comment.

Carty could face 63 to 84 months in prison for the assault, and 51 to 60 months for the harassment charges, according to charging papers.

The case is not an isolated incident on South Whidbey. CADA Whidbey Island provided assistance to 708 individuals in its offices in Langley and Oak Harbor. It also provided 1,824 “bed nights” in shelters for women and children.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates