South Whidbey brush fire put out by bystanders

A small brush fire off Highway 525 and Midvale Road was put out by bystanders Friday night.

“They just stomped it out with their feet,” said South Whidbey Fire/EMS Deputy Chief Jon Beck. “It was small enough that it wasn’t much of a problem.”

Beck said there were no injuries from the four-square-foot grass fire caused by a catalytic converter that was spit out of a car’s exhaust. When it sat in the dry grass, it ignited.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates