Hutchinson pleads not guilty to police threats

The man accused of threatening the lives of Island County Sheriff’s deputies’ pled not guilty in Island County Superior Court Monday.

The Island County prosecutor charged Ryan Hutchinson, 24, of Clinton, with attempted residential burglary, harassment/threats to kill and first-degree malicious mischief.

At his arraignment on Monday, the prosecution added an additional charge: threats to bomb, said Colleen Kenimond, Island County deputy prosecutor.

Hutchinson and Jeremy Galton, 31, were arrested July 22 in connection with a burglary on Humphrey Road, according to court documents.

Once in custody, Hutchinson allegedly threatened the officers. He also injured the hand of a deputy while being taken into custody and tried to bite another officer.

Hutchinson is the nephew of Darren Hutchinson, who shot and killed Island County Sheriff deputies William Heffernan and John Saxerud in an inmate processing room in the Island County Jail in Coupeville on Nov. 14, 1987.

On the same day, Ryan Hutchinson celebrated his fourth birthday.

In 1989, a jury found Darren Hutchinson guilty on two counts of aggravated first-degree murder.

Another member of the Hutchinson family, Thalen Hutchinson, was arrested in Sept. 2006 for allegedly trying to sell stolen explosives to undercover officers.

He pled guilty to possession of explosives and stolen property shortly after and was sentenced to nine months in prison, according to the Island County Sheriff’s Office.

Two weeks ago, Ryan Hutchinson and Galton, were arrested after witnesses connected them to the Humphrey Road burglary.

Deputies arrested the two Clinton men after they were found walking on Highway 525 near Cedar Vista.

When the men were picked up, Hutchinson allegedly became combative and repeatedly threatened the deputies, according to court records.

In a police report, deputy John Sawyers wrote that he had to stop the sheriff’s car because Hutchinson broke a window and repeatedly threatened him and other deputies.

Hutchinson threatened to blow up the propane tanks near the precinct offices, as well as cars. He also threatened the officers’ lives repeatedly, according to court records.

He was later booked into Island County Jail on a $40,000 bond, where he is still being held, Kenimond said. A trial date has been set for Sept. 23.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates