- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Kids, Fireworks cause grass fire
Summer time, children, grass and fireworks did not mix well Wednesday afternoon.
South Whidbey Fire/EMS was called out to Sunlight Beach Road after children accidentally caught a 30-by-30-foot patch of dry grass on fire with fireworks.
“They thought it would be safe and sane,” said Assistant Chief Paul Busch. “Luckily some people cut the grass down there.”
Busch did not know the type of firework used, but said that it was legal.
Despite not having any fireworks-related fires last year around Independence Day, Busch and the fire protection district were preparing for a busy period. Dry weather and occasional wind have dried out “flash fuels” like grass, making their ignition temperature lower. Add something like a firework, which can get up to 1,500 degrees, and it’s a quick fire.
“I believe this is going to be the first of many calls over the fourth of July weekend,” Busch said.
The children used glasses of water to douse parts of the fire until neighbors were able to help extinguish it. South Whidbey Fire/EMS volunteers used the engine’s hose to spray the perimeter and put out any remaining embers. The children were allowed to hold the hose for a bit, Busch said.