News

Fire at park may have been caused by fireworks

A fire that may have been sparked by fireworks spread across a wide area at Marguerite Brons Memorial Park in Bayview on Friday. - Rebecca Collins / The Record
A fire that may have been sparked by fireworks spread across a wide area at Marguerite Brons Memorial Park in Bayview on Friday.
— image credit: Rebecca Collins / The Record

BAYVIEW - Fireworks may have been the cause of a fire Friday afternoon at Marguerite Brons Memorial Park.

The July 3 fire, which spread across an area about 75 feet across at the popular off-leash dog park, was reported by two women who walking their dogs through the woods at the park.

According to Gary Gabelein, a volunteer firefighter with Fire District 3, the cause of the fire was presumed to be fireworks since there was fire on both sides of the road.

Firefighters spent the afternoon dousing trees, stumps and grass that had caught fire.

No one was injured in the blaze.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates