Falcons lose seesaw battle to Cedarcrest

Though the South Whidbey football team led at the half, a coordinated ground game overpowered the Falcons, who lost 28-19 to the undefeated Cedarcrest Red Wolves Friday at Waterman Field.

The Falcons are 1-3 overall, Cedarcrest is 4-0.

The Red Wolves jumped out in front in the first quarter on a short run for the first touchdown. The game settled into a defensive struggle until, with 2:17 left in the half, running back Henry Mead caught a Hunter Rawls pass for the first Falcon score; Rawls converted a point-after attempt into a sweep to the left for the conversion as the Falcons went ahead 8-7. Then, with 11 seconds left, TJ Russell booted a 30-yard field goal to make it 11-7 at half time.

Late in the third period, Cedarcrest scored again and went ahead 14-11.

With seconds on the clock, Mead again caught a Rawls pass, the conversion was good and the Falcons led 19-14.

Seconds into the final quarter, Cedarcrest scored on the ground, then again with 1:29 left for the final 29-19 score.

"This is the sixth time we've played South Whidbey, and each game has been close and competitive," said Red Wolf coach Jason Frederick. "I admit to being surprised we fell behind. I think we got a little complacent and didn't follow up our game plan fast enough."

On the next two Fridays, the Falcons travel to Sultan and King's, then return to Waterman Field for the homecoming game against Granite Falls, 7 p.m. on Oct. 16.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates