News

House damaged by fire at Useless Bay

A fire believed caused by a malfunctioning gas fireplace damaged a multi-story house in the Useless Bay Colony on Saturday afternoon but caused no injuries, officials said.

Neighbors called the fire department when they noticed smoke coming from the back of the residence on Lori Drive about 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16, said Mike Cotton, assistant chief for Island County Fire District 3.

Owners of the house were away from home at the time but returned when alerted by neighbors, Cotton said.

Multiple emergency vehicles and about 20 firefighters responded to the call. They quickly knocked down flames, which had charred the mantle and burned through a wall. Firefighters also rescued the couple's cat, Cotton said.

Cotton said the flames were confined to one room of the house, but other rooms incurred smoke and water damage.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Dec 20
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates