News

Maxwelton Valley resident scales ladder, douses chimney fire

When his chimney caught fire this past week, a Maxwelton Valley resident saved the fire department the trouble of putting it out.

When flames began shooting out the chimney, the man got his ladder, climbed to the roof of his two-story house with his garden hose, and extinguished the blaze.

“He definitely did a good job,” said Island County Fire District 3 Deputy Chief Mike Cotton. “The flames were gone when we got there.”

The fire was at a secluded home on Formerly Lane off Wildes Road near Maxwelton Road, just north of French Road, Cotton said.

The call came in about 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5. Damage was minimal, Cotton said.

The man and his wife were home at the time. The resident said he started a fire in his wood stove, which hadn’t been used in a while. He told firefighters that the chimney hadn’t been cleaned lately, Cotton said.

“Things were ripe for a minor chimney fire,” he said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Dec 20
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates