Ace evacuated after stove ‘poof’

A propane fire insert on display in the center of the store was to blame. Employees were trying to light the stove but were having trouble. When it finally lit, it did so with oomph.

“All of a sudden, it went,” said Devee Farmer, the store’s inventory manager.

Staff saw a burst of flame around the stove and as high as eight feet above the stove. Though it didn’t catch, the store was evacuated, Farmer said.

South Whidbey Fire/EMS crews responded and found no flames inside the building. Chief Rusty Palmer said the stove “poofed” when it started, the result of built up gas. When relayed Farmer’s report, he agreed, “That’s a good poof.”

More in News

South Whidbey organizations combine forces to provide toys, food for those in need

Through donations, two community organizations are going the extra mile to brighten… Continue reading

Committee tasked with overseeing Whidbey Island fairgrounds transfer

As ownership of the Whidbey Island Fairgrounds changed hands to the Port… Continue reading

Citizens group to pitch carbon tax to council

A citizens group is calling for the Langley City Council to endorse… Continue reading

Langley Library showcases the art of gift wrapping

’Tis the season of giving, and the Langley Library is getting into… Continue reading

Whidbey woman accused of child molestation

A 26-year-old woman is facing charges for allegedly molesting a teenage girl… Continue reading

Island County Housing Authority Board seeks applicants

The Island County Housing Authority Board has two vacant seats, leaving county… Continue reading

Senior center class combats Parkinson’s through song

When members of Island Senior Resources’ Parkinson’s Support Group first learned about… Continue reading

Whidbey feels regional Christmas tree crunch

Tree farms decrease, prices increase

Cuts or levy hike needed to address $2 mil deficit for libraries in 2019

Facing a $2 million shortfall in 2019, the Sno-Isle Libraries Board of… Continue reading

Most Read