FEMA grant for seismic retrofit given to Langley Middle School

A seismic retrofitting project at Langley Middle School totaling nearly $1 million is going before the South Whidbey School Board for approval tonight.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) gave the South Whidbey School District’s pre-disaster mitigation plan a thumbs up and will provide federal grant funding for a seismic retrofitting at the middle school’s main gym; the structure is considered “the greatest safety hazard to address and also one of the more costly projects to undertake,” according to Brian Miller, the district’s maintenance and facilities director.

FEMA will cover 75 percent ($708,874) of the project’s anticipated total cost of $945,165. The grant structure leaves 25 percent of the cost to the grant recipient. The district is splitting the cost with the state and Office of Superintendent of Instruction, leaving the district with a bill of $118,145.50.

The proposed “life safe seismic retrofit” is based on a seismic evaluation completed by Seattle consulting engineer ABKJ and would address several structural concerns: the connection between the roof diaphragm and the walls, the second floor attachment structures and other structural and non-structural deficiencies, according to school documents. The cost estimates were based on similar retrofits done recently for other organizations.

A committee of staff, community members, administrators and a board member have been working with the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction on the plan since 2013. It is part of a statewide K-12 Facilities Hazard Mitigation Plan, which pertains to actions that can be taken to reduce the risks of natural disasters.

Miller said in a school document that the next step is to accept the grant and begin the design and bidding phase.

The school board meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 25 in the community room at South Whidbey Elementary School.

More in News

Uninhabited house destroyed in blaze

Officials from Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue say they are unable… Continue reading

Bus driver wins statewide Above Beyond Award

Washington State Transit Insurance Pool and Island Transit have announced that bus… Continue reading

Harbor seal pup. Photo by Sandra Dubpernell/Orca Network/Central Puget Sound Marine Mammal Stranding Network
Experts: Seal pups should be left alone

Pupping season is in full swing for the seals that visit the… Continue reading

Restored sheep barn becomes a classroom in Ebey’s Reserve

The public is invited to celebrate the restoration and re-purposing of the… Continue reading

Seas, Trees, Pie Bike Ride is on the way

Cyclists of all ages will take to the roads as part of… Continue reading

Burn ban begins Friday the 13th

Backyard bonfires will soon be outlawed on Whidbey Island. Island County Sheriff… Continue reading

Photo provided. Campstuff Coffee sells durable steel and enamel mugs for under $20.
Coffee stand opens in Deception Pass Park

Standing in the drizzly rain in open-toed sandals, the foggy beach behind… Continue reading

New public art debuts in Langley

Steel and glass shape pieces chosen by arts commission

Dave Madeiros stands in front of his garage, where he keeps the materials he uses for his flooring business that he has owned and operated since 2001. He still lives in the first home he bought in Oak Harbor after being homeless for a two years. Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
                                Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
                                Dave Madeiros stands in front of his garage, where he stores materials he uses for his flooring business that he has owned and operated since 2001.
Businessman shares story of homelessness

Dave Madeiros knows well both sides of the homelessness issue. Madeiros has… Continue reading

Most Read