Kyle Jensen / The Record — The homeowner’s parents watch as a fire blazes in the downstairs crawlspace on Wednesday morning.

Langley home damaged by furnace fire

A Lone Lake area home up for sale caught fire on Wednesday morning.

Nobody was hurt in the incident. The home sustained smoke and flame damage to the downstairs crawl space, but the overall infrastructure remains in tact.

The fire, at a home on Andreason Road near Lone Lake Road, occurred around 10:30 a.m. when the homeowner’s parents stopped by the house to clean up after a recently-departed renter. They turned the furnace on when they stepped inside, South Whidbey Fire/EMS Deputy Chief Mike Cotton said. The trouble appeared shortly after.

“The parents of the owner were prepping the house for sale, as you can see from the for sale signs in the yard,” Cotton said. “They turned on the furnace when they got here, and after a while they noticed smoke coming from the basement.”

According to Cotton, the furnace and ductwork in the downstairs crawl space caught fire due to “some sort of buildup of trash, or possibly vermin” that caught fire when the furnace began to heat up. The resulting flames may have burned a hole in the crawl space floor, he added, and a portion of the home likely experienced smoke damage. When responders arrived on the scene, gray smoke was escaping through all sides of the house.

“When you start cutting (burning) holes in floors, the damages gets to be thousands of dollars,” Cotton said. “The infrastructure doesn’t look too damaged, but it’ll cost some money to repair the damages.”

The incident closed most of Andreason Road in between Lone Lake Road and Bayview Road for more than an hour.

 

Kyle Jensen / The Record — Firefighters crawl toward the source of the fire to put out the flames.