- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR | Obama’s many achievements
To the editor:
I recently saw some folks trying to get names on a petition to impeach the president. Are people not aware that this cannot be done willy nilly, but only for “treason, bribery or other high crimes and misdealers.” Then the House of Representatives must for pass by a simple majority a formal allegation. Upon their passage then the Senate tries the accused. To convict the accused, a two-thirds majority of the Senate is required. Not a simple thing and certainly not for a President who’s only crime is being black! President Obama is a very good, caring and moral man of much integrity who has taken countless measures to avoid going over the cliff we were headed for with the Bush Administration.
Here are but a few examples of Obama’s recovery measures:
1. Affordable Care Act ‚Äî will cover 32 million uninsured Americans beginning in 2014.
2. Passed stimulus (2009) to spur economic growth during the greatest recession since the Great Depression ‚Äî weeks after unemployment claims began to subside and private sector began producing more jobs that it was losing and has continued to do so ‚Äî we have gone from 10 percent to 7 percent unemployment.
3. Passed Wall Street reform ‚Äî signed Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform and Consumer Protection Act (2010) to re-regulate the financial sector after it’s practices caused the Great Recession.
4. Ended the war in Iraq (last troops left 2011).
5. Began war down of war in Afphanistan.
6. Eliminated Osama bin Laden (2011) with special raid of compound in Pakistan.
7. turned around the U.S. auto industry ‚Äî now back on top again.
8. Reversed Bush torture policies.
9. Improved American image abroad ‚Äî visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office.
10. Created “Race to the Top” program of completive grants to encourage and reqard states for education reform.
11. Boosted fuel efficiency standards that will nearly double the fuel economy for cars and trucks by 2025.
12. Increased support for veterans.
13. Tightened sanctions on Iran.
14. Overhauled food safety systems.
15. Advanced women’s rights in the workplace.
16. Expanded the children’s health insurance program.
17. Overhauled the credit card industry making it more user friendly.
18. Fixed the pre-existing conditions travesty in health insurance.
19. Passed Hate Crimes Bill.
20. Increased infrastructure spending after years of neglect.
21. Placed limits on lobbyist’s access to the White House.
22. Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs: new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back.
23. Lower drug costs for seniors.
24. Improve conditions at military hospitals.
25. Begin the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force.
26. Make more loans available to small businesses.
I could go on and on. it’s amazing what President Obama has done considering the Republican’s vow to block him at every turn and make him a one-term president. But if these impeachment folk don’t like all this, they do have a choice and vote. They can vote for a candidate who does not care about 47 percent of the country, who only cares and puts the interests of, the super rich above all else. A candidate who lies or switches policies before whatever group he is speaking to at the moment. A man who only wants to be president as a trophy to be one, using any method (voter suppression) to achieve this. If all the good President Obama has done is not good enough and you want to take the country back to the Bush years, by all means vote for Romney. But I certainly hope the 47 percent and more will see through the Romney facade and let President Obama finish the extraordinary work he has begun.