To the editor:
Letters that appeared in the Whidbey News-Times Oct. 17 edition took issue with County Commissioner Angie Homola’s priorities, cited her “narrow tunnel vision” and that she “is focused too much on listening to the fringe elements of our county.” These claims are not justified. That “Island County Commissioners have too much control over my property tax bill” can only be true if you think 37 percent is ‘too much control.” The other 63 percent goes to state mandates and voter approved levies, to which Island County has absolutely no control.
Are seniors who have been helped with Meals on Wheels considered a “fringe element?” Thanks to Homola’s efforts, needy seniors are having good, hot food to eat rather than being forced to exist on cat chow. Are veterans who have returned home from dedicated service to their country a “fringe element?” What in 2008 were less than 10 vets getting assistance are now almost a 100 who are benefiting from Homola’s push to have an Island County veterans coordinator. Should the farmers who have been assisted with effective farming plans by the Conservation Futures Fund be considered a “fringe element?”
Are these the services someone would “prefer not to pay for?”
Angie Homola’s vision for our county is in terms of years, not months. That she has “narrow tunnel vision” is missing the forest for the trees considering her performance over these past four years. Having to deal with not one but two substantial budget reductions, Homola and fellow Commissioner Price Johnson demonstrated keen foresight when making the painful decisions that achieved budget balances. Those decisions maintained public safety while enhancing Island County’s foundation for economic recovery. We owe it to ourselves to keep them in office.