South Whidbey Record


LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Look for the flyer

June 27, 2013 · 10:46 AM

To the editor:

We used to give little thought to taking out the trash. These days we know that papers, plastic resins and metal are resources to recover. We also know that chemicals around the house such as corrosive cleaners, stale gasoline, automotive fluids, garden chemicals, batteries and aerosol products can cause personal injury, start fires and pollute our bays and aquifers when disposed of improperly.

To help residents sort through this maze, Island County has prepared a grant-funded flyer inserted in today’s paper that describes hazardous products, where to dispose of them and where one can learn more. I plan to save mine in a kitchen drawer with the phone book.

The flyer does not cover everything. For example, taping battery terminals will prevent any residual charge from starting fires like those that have ignited both structures and vehicles. Also, empty containers which contained hazardous materials such as bleach or motor oil should go into the trash and not into the recycle bins.

Disposing of household hazardous waste is convenient and free. Do not put it in your trash. For a collection site near you, see the flyer.

Workers at county transfer stations are friendly. Ask and they will help. Another great place for household hazardous waste (HHW) disposal information is the Island County HHW Collection Facility, 360-679-7386 or 360-321-511 ext. 7386.

Also, remember to read the label. “Caution,” “Warning,” or “Danger” indicates a potential for harm. Know that you have a free place to safely dispose of unwanted household hazardous waste.

Linda Thom

WSU Waste Wise Volunteer

Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us