Falcon wrestlers lose to Archbishop Murphy, travel light to Lynden Tournament

South Whidbey’s wrestling team lost 36-30 to Archbishop Murphy late last week in Everett, despite outstanding efforts from several on the Falcon crew.

South Whidbey's Jeff Kunnellis pinned Colin Farrell in the 119-pound match. Montana Johnson pinned Den Poirier in the 152. Avery Buechner pinned Nate Harden in the 215 in 46 seconds.

Falcon senior Pat Myatt was pinned by AJ Vidamo. Myatt, a first-year wrestler, led 10-3 and had Vidamo on his back for a three-point position. Then, Vidamo turned Myatt on his back and pinned him.

“My heartbreak of the season,” said Falcon coach Jim Thompson.

Cameron Schille defeated Tim Callaghan 7-6 in the 135.

“For a kid who has never wrestled, he is a natural,” Thompson said.

South Whidbey's Evan Thompson defeated Dan Marshbank 8-4 in the 145.

Jeremiah Robey, Van Morgen and Jack Douglas were all pinned. Pat Monell lost to Conner Cruze 12-8.

The Falcons forfeited at 112 and 125 pounds and Steven Sutton won by the Wildcats’ forfeit in the 140. Steven Sutton placed fifth in the 140-pound division.

South Whidbey had less than 36 hours to recover before weighing in at the Lynden Tournament on Saturday, Jan. 22. Only eight Falcon wrestlers traveled to Lynden. Senior co-captain Evan Thompson did not travel because he was taking a SAT.

The Falcons are having Senior Night on Thursday, Jan. 27 when they host Sultan. It is the last home match for South Whidbey.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates