Moeller, Myatt combine for seven goals in 8-2 South Whidbey rout

Pat Myatt gets a shot on goal past Granite Falls defenders Marshall Zenk (8) and Chris Hoeppner (4). South Whidbey’s senior co-captain scored four goals to keep the Falcons undefeated at 3-0. - Ben Watanabe / The Record
Pat Myatt gets a shot on goal past Granite Falls defenders Marshall Zenk (8) and Chris Hoeppner (4). South Whidbey’s senior co-captain scored four goals to keep the Falcons undefeated at 3-0.
— image credit: Ben Watanabe / The Record

The timer on South Whidbey’s electronic scoreboard wasn’t working. A passerby may have assumed the scorer wasn’t working right, either, based on the boys soccer team’s 8-2 victory against Granite Falls.

In the first Cascade Conference game for both teams, the Falcons’ offense dominated the Tigers’ defense. South Whidbey scored its first goal 18 seconds after the opening whistle blew.

The Falcons had 11 shots on goal and three scores before the Tigers’ first goal in the 27th minute.

“The intensity was there,” said Falcon head soccer coach Joel Gerlach. “[In] our first conference match, you can’t complain about 8-2.”

Falcon junior Moeller scored three goals, all in the first half.

The first goal of the night, Moeller kicked in with an assist from senior Miles Goodman. Moeller’s next two goals were unassisted, including his third and final goal. He beat the Granite Falls defender for a one-on-one with Tigers goalkeeper Joey Best, then crossed to his left to kick past the goalie and into the net.

“I think we’re playing good up top, [getting] good balls from the defense, especially,” Moeller said.

Moeller attributed his three goals and the offense’s pressure to quality possessions and passing.

Not to be outdone, Falcon senior Pat Myatt scored three goals, plus a fourth on a deflection off a Tigers defender.

Myatt scored two goals in the first half, including one in the 40th minute that went over Best as he leaped to block it. Myatt’s second goal put South Whidbey ahead 5-1 at halftime, after Tigers senior Brandon Gilbertson scored on a header in the 27th minute.

Myatt headed in his third goal on a throw from senior co-captain TJ Russell. His fourth goal was off a penalty kick that hit Granite Falls defender Marshall Zenk and bounced into the net.

“I can’t do it without Noah and Miles up top, and everyone in the midfield,” Myatt said.

“We can’t score if we don’t have the ball, and [the defense] is doing a good job of listening to what Joel [Gerlach] wants.”

Granite Falls scored its second goal on a one-on-one crossover by Tigers senior Dylan Wold.

South Whidbey answered two minutes later. In addition to an assist, Goodman scored in the 77th minute with an assist from junior James Young. Goodman’s goal put South Whidbey ahead 8-2.

Russell, the starting goalkeeper, came out from the goal in the second half to relieve senior defender and co-captain Dean Freundlich. Freundlich sprained his right ankle during practice the day before the game.

“I couldn’t be happier with my guys,” Gerlach said. “We’re still kind of figuring out where everybody belongs.”

“When we make substitutions, I think we’re just as strong as with our regular players,” Gerlach added.

The senior co-captain played every minute the previous two games and rarely sat last season, except for injury. Freundlich was replaced in the starting lineup for the second half and sat the majority of the 40-minute period. He will wear a brace the rest of the season, but is expected to return to full-game play after adjusting its position from Tuesday’s action.

“I just didn’t have it quite adjusted right, today,” Freundlich said. “I’ll be fine to play a whole game.”

South Whidbey is 1-0 in conference play, 3-0 overall, including two home wins.

“It really builds up confidence in the team,” Moeller said.

Gerlach said the high-scoring offense of South Whidbey will get noticed, and fast.

“I think it sends the message that we’re here and we’re ready for them,” Gerlach said. “And whoever we play, we’re going to give them a good game.”

The Falcons traveled to play Sultan High School (0-1; 0-2) on Friday, after the Record went to press. Last season, Sultan was kept scoreless in seven games and lost both games against South Whidbey. This season, the Turks had not allowed more than three goals and had not scored more than one goal.

Next week, South Whidbey hosts Lakewood (0-1; 1-2) on Tuesday, March 29. The Cougars lost to Cedarcrest 5-0 and had only scored two goals this season, both in a win against Meridian.

After the game, the players crossed the field to wave and thank about 50 fans. Myatt praised the South Whidbey fans for attending the game, and said he wants to prove they’re a team worth watching.

“Hopefully by Coupeville, I think it’s on a Friday night, we’ll have the stands full,” Myatt said.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates