Seahawks ride fast start to finish Falcon football season

Austin Backer, Montana Johnson and Jake Leonard tackle Seahawk senior Jacob Rector in the fourth quarter Friday, Nov. 4.  - Ben Watanabe / The Record
Austin Backer, Montana Johnson and Jake Leonard tackle Seahawk senior Jacob Rector in the fourth quarter Friday, Nov. 4.
— image credit: Ben Watanabe / The Record

LANGLEY — Anacortes scored 14 points in the first three minutes to put the South Whidbey football team in a deficit it couldn’t get out of Friday night, losing 35-21.

In the 10th and final game of the Falcon football season, South Whidbey (3-4 Cascade Conference, 4-6 overall) was caught on its heels from the first play.

Seahawk junior running back Austin Leddusire scored on a 43-yard rushing touchdown. As quick as the Seahawks began the game, South Whidbey’s leaders knew they were beating themselves.

“It was definitely us,” said Falcon senior Sam Lee. “I mean, that first play the guy pretty much went untouched to the end zone.”

The Falcons’ first drive ended in an interception thrown by sophomore quarterback Nick French. The ball was tipped at the line of scrimmage and caught by Seahawk linebacker Zach Hiles at the Falcon 35-yard line.

With great field position, the Seahawks ran senior tight end Trevor Monroe twice and senior quarterback Cody Culp once. The Falcons forced a fourth down with 3 yards to go. Culp ran to the right edge of the line, beat his tackler and scored for the 13-0 lead.

Miscues continued for the Falcons. Forced to punt, the ball was snapped two feet over senior punter Mason Shoudy’s outstretched arms and he dove on it at the Falcon 25-yard line to prevent an immediate score. The Falcons had consecutive tackles for a 3-yard loss that set up a fourth-and-long play.

Culp threw to Leddusire in the end zone, but the pass was well beyond his diving reach when Lee bumped into him. The refs called a personal foul on Lee, changing possession to the Falcons on the incomplete pass but moving the line of scrimmage back 15 yards to the Falcon 8-yard line.

Anacortes’ defense buckled down and forced the Falcons to punt without gaining a first down.

A shanked punt was downed at the Falcon 13-yard line by Anacortes. The Seahawks scored again on the first play of a possession as senior running back Andrew Kay rushed on the right edge.

Sophomore kicker Andrew Medalia hit his third extra point kick to push the score to 21-0 in the first quarter.

“I think when you play a team from a different conference, it’s a different speed,” said Falcon co-head coach Mark Hodson.

“It took us two touchdowns to get up to speed.”

South Whidbey scored in the second quarter after senior Avery Buechner recovered a Seahawk fumble on the Falcon 43-yard line. The Falcons drove down the field on runs by Buechner, Lee and junior Pat Monell.

Buechner scored a 25-yard rushing touchdown through the middle of the line. Junior kicker Cameron Coupe’s extra point sailed between the goal posts to trail the Seahawks 21-7.

Avery Buechner leads the Falcons onto Waterman Field for the second half against the Anacortes Seahawks on Nov. 4. The senior co-captain scored a rushing touchdown and made a 35-yard catch in his final game in the blue and silver.

“We found out they really weren’t all they were cracked up to be,” Buechner said. “I feel like (if) we play a different first half, it’s a totally different ball game.”

The Seahawks scored late in the third quarter on a 4-yard run by Culp. The point-after-touchdown kick missed to the left, but the Seahawks still led 27-7.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Falcons gained three first downs, capped by a 12-yard touchdown run by junior fullback Aaron Curfman. Coupe’s PAT kick was good with less than two minutes left in the third quarter.

Anacortes scored its final touchdown to end the third quarter on a fake handoff, which Culp threw to Monroe who slipped by the Falcon linebackers and safeties. Monroe also caught the pass for the two-point conversion.

The Falcons’ final score came on the next drive. On fourth-and-nine near midfield, French lofted a deep pass to Buechner along the Falcon sideline which he turned, leapt, caught and controlled as he slammed to the grass for a first down on the Seahawk 11-yard line. Monell ran it in to trail 35-21.

Anacortes almost scored another touchdown, but it was called back on a holding penalty. That led to Falcon senior Daniel Sage getting an interception, which was fumbled and recovered by Lee and returned to the Seahawk 37-yard line.

South Whidbey went four-and-out, including two deep throws to Buechner along the sideline which were deflected by Leddusire and Culp.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates