South Whidbey Record


Falcon defense busts in shutout losses to King’s, Cedarcrest

South Whidbey Record Langley, Clinton, arts and entertainment, features
October 8, 2012 · Updated 11:54 AM

Falcon freshman Annie Lux chases Lady Knight Beth Stella in the first half Tuesday. King’s won the Cascade Conference match with South Whidbey, 4-0. / Ben Watanabe / The Record

LANGLEY — South Whidbey’s defense held the King’s girls soccer team scoreless for less than 10 minutes.

Then the Lady Knights’ consistent pressure and barrage of shots broke through the Falcon defense. King’s led 2-0 by halftime, scored another pair of goals in the second half and left Waterman Field with another Cascade Conference victory Tuesday.

In the first half, the ball rarely left the Lady Knights’ possession. King’s relied on its fast forwards and quick-passing midfielders to move around South Whidbey’s defenders. The plan worked as King’s hit a dozen shots on goal in the first 40 minutes. With the Lady Knights’ offense rolling, it was a matter of time before they scored against a depleted Falcon defense. South Whidbey (3-6 Cascade Conference; 3-7-1 overall) was without senior defender Jenna Kaik, who was out sick, and several players were ill earlier this week. Junior defender Katie Sibley missed some playing time in the first half with an ankle injury, too.

King’s (8-1 Cascade Conference; 10-1 overall) scored its first goal on a deflected shot. Falcon senior goalie Ellie Greene deflected Lady Knight Beth Stella’s shot, but Anna Parker fired the ball back into the net in the 9th minute.

Greene bounced back with three more saves in the first half. But the Knights’ onslaught continued. Stella scored in the 35th minute after a long throw-in to the middle of the field.

The second half wasn’t any easier for South Whidbey. King’s scored two more goals by Jubilee Zevenbergen and Maddie Nettles to cap their second shutout of South Whidbey.

South Whidbey’s scoring woes continued Thursday against Cedarcrest (6-3 Cascade Conference; 6-5 overall). The third-place Cascade Conference Red Wolves poured in three early goals and routed the Falcons 8-0.

The Falcons will need to find some kind of offense to improve on their nine goals scored against conference opponents, while shoring up their defense that allowed 38 goals. South Whidbey will have its shot against Coupeville, the conference’s last-place team, Tuesday, Oct. 9.

Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us