South Whidbey Record


Falcons on fire, Lyons roars for hat trick against Turks

South Whidbey Record Langley, Clinton, arts and entertainment, features
April 6, 2013 · Updated 2:40 PM

South Whidbey’s Calvin Shimada and Bryce Auburn track a header that misses wide against Sultan on April 2. / Ben Watanabe / The Record

Coming off the first losing streak of their season, the Falcons knew beating Sultan was paramount to the season’s success.

Perhaps bludgeon is a better word.

South Whidbey boys soccer pummeled Sultan, 9-0, just 24 hours after losing to Cedarcrest, 3-1. Three Falcons tallied multiple goals, led by senior Stephen Lyons’ three scores.

Righting the South Whidbey ship took a little longer than the Falcons wanted against the Turks, but once it started, it was full steam ahead.

“They were playing a really good offside trap in the beginning, and a couple of us broke through,” said Falcon senior Trey Adams. “It was a really good win for the team, a good confidence booster.”

Within the first 20 minutes, one score was waved off by the referees because of a foul. In that same time, the Falcons went fast and furious on offense, tallying five shots on goal. Barraging Sultan’s defense finally broke through in the 27th minute when Adams scored the first of his two goals. Andy Zisette crossed the ball from the sideline in front of the defenders, where Adams met it and sent it into the net.

Lyons scored his first goal on a similar play assisted by Darby Hayes two minutes later.

Not relenting, South Whidbey maintained its pressure and possession into halftime. Senior Sam Turpin scored the third goal of the first half on a tapped ball as the Turk goalie stepped out and challenged him.

Out of the break, South Whidbey held its form with a quick score by Adams, assisted by Hayes in the 43rd minute.

The Falcons pressed the Turks in the midfield. Any ball that got across the middle was sent back by defenders Jack Hood, Cameron Coupe and Calvin Shimada.

Transitioning from defense to offense quickly played into South Whidbey’s strength, its speed. On such a play, Lyons blitzed by his defenders for a through ball by Hayes. Once Lyons beat his defenders, he lingered outside the box just far enough to draw the goalie out and boot the ball in.

Two minutes later, Lyons scored his third goal for the first hat trick of his career.

“I wish we could have had the same performance last night,” Lyons said.

Leading Sultan 6-0, South Whidbey switched its players and brought Coupe into the offense. Good plan. The senior scored a pair of goals at forward in the 67th and 73rd minutes.

Guy Sparkman scored the eighth goal for South Whidbey on a shot over Sultan’s goalie in the 70th.

Andrew Holt notched the shut out as South Whidbey’s keeper.

Commenting Rules

© Sound Publishing, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Our Titles | Work With Us