Shutout win for South Whidbey boys soccer over Lakewood

Falcon junior Kai da Rosa watches his shot roll past the reach of Lakewood goalkeeper Rodrigo Garcia on Friday, April 4. The shot crossed in front of the goal and missed. - Ben Watanabe / The Record
Falcon junior Kai da Rosa watches his shot roll past the reach of Lakewood goalkeeper Rodrigo Garcia on Friday, April 4. The shot crossed in front of the goal and missed.
— image credit: Ben Watanabe / The Record

The Falcon boys soccer team’s offense was flying high Friday night in a 2-0 win over the Lakewood Cougars.

South Whidbey notched 18 shots on goal against Lakewood to take second place in the Cascade Conference. The Falcons (3-1-0 conference, 5-1-0 overall) only trail the first-place and undefeated Archbishop Murphy Wildcats (4-0-0 conference, 5-0-1 overall).

“After the Coupeville loss, we were a little angry. … Now we’re gaining momentum, preparing for Archbishop [Murphy],” said Falcon junior Jeff Meier.

Defensively, the Falcons controlled the game and kept Lakewood’s shots mostly outside the 18-yard marker of the goalie box. The Cougars got off eight shots on goal, of which a few were dangerous shots for the Falcons, including a free kick from 18 yards out that hit the right goal post and bounced away in the 63rd minute.

South Whidbey countered with a quick press onto Lakewood’s half of the field. Falcon junior Andy Zisette beat his defender down the right sideline and sent the ball into the goalie’s box where Falcon junior Kai da Rosa met it with his foot for the second and final South Whidbey goal of the night.

“The passing between Oliver [Saunsaucie] and me, the one-two, was working really well,” said Zisette, referring to the Falcons’ ability to quickly transition from defense to offense.

“We had a lot of injuries. Having Oliver back really helps,” he added.

Though South Whidbey won the statistical battle for shots on goal, the Falcons did not score until late in each half. The Falcons’ first goal came after a deflected shot by da Rosa that rolled past the Cougar goalie for Meier to boot in undefended.

“Our striker was doing really good at one and two passes, freeing himself up and attracting defenders, which opened other guys up,” Meier said of da Rosa.

The game was a physical bout between South Whidbey, still reeling from its rivalry loss to Coupeville the week prior, and Lakewood. Several players from each team hit the turf with thuds audible from the sidelines, and Falcon senior co-captain Trey Adams was issued a yellow card for a collision with one of Lakewood’s players in the final few minutes. South Whidbey players said Adams warned them before the match that Lakewood would bump and slide into them, and it was on the Falcons to match them.

“That’s their play style; they come wanting to hit and play aggressive,” Zisette said. “We just had to come up and stand up to them and be aggressive back and not get pushed around.”

South Whidbey traveled to play Sultan on Tuesday after The Record went to press. The Falcons host the league’s top-ranked Archbishop Murphy Wildcats at 6 p.m. Friday, April 11.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates