Rawls goes airborne in win over Cedarcrest

South Whidbey quarterback Hunter Rawls completed 11-of-19 passes for 207 yards Friday as the Falcon football team beat Cedarcrest 22-14 while upsetting the Red Wolves’ homecoming festivities.

While Cedarcrest keyed in on running back Henry Mead, who still eked out 13 carries for 76 yards, the Falcons took to the skies.

Wide receiver Nick Tenuta caught nine passes for

186 yards, including an 82-yard bomb for a touchdown in the first quarter. Danny Zuver ran one in 14 yards for six in the final quarter and TJ Russell had a 28-yard field goal.

The Falcon offense totaled 184 yards on the ground, 207 in the air.

Not to be outdone, the defense chipped in for another TD on a Jon Poolman interception.

Defensive back Poolman had eight tackles, a pass defense and an interception returned 55 yards for a touchdown. Linebacker Jake Parrick had five tackles and linebacker Trapper Rawls had four tackles, a pass defense, a sack and three fumble recoveries.

“It was quite a night,” said defensive coordinator Damian Greene. “Nick was on fire, and the defense has contributed a score in each game so far.”

Falcon coach Mark Hodson said that Tenuta had the kind of night wide receivers dream about.

“While the Red Wolves concentrated on Hank and Danny, Nick caught the ball in the wide-open spaces,” he recalled. “The games with Cedarcrest have always been competitive, and this year we were better.”

Players noted that, by the fourth quarter, the Red Wolves sometimes crossed the line as they tried to get back in the game.

“We could tell they were getting frustrated in the last quarter as the personal fouls against them mounted,” said right guard Greg Nelson.

Cedarcrest scored once in the first quarter, South Whidbey twice and took the lead 13-7 at the first break. The Falcons had nine points in the second quarter and led 21-7 at halftime.

Neither team scored in the third quarter, but the Red Wolves rallied in the fourth for a TD and extra point for the 22-14 final.

Nelson added that the team sang their fight song in the locker room and the parking lot to celebrate.

The Falcons are 2-0 in the Cascade Conference and

4-0 overall. They are tied with unbeaten Archbishop Murphy for first place in league standings while Cedarcrest drops to 3-1. South Whidbey has outscored its opponents 128 to 49.

At 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 3, the Falcons are back home as they welcome the Sultan Turks to Waterman Field.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates