FALCON FOOTBALL UPDATE: Blaine ends season for South Whidbey

The South Whidbey football team couldn't overcome injuries to key players and fell 33-2 to the Blaine Borderites Friday night in the first playoff game at Waterman Field in 16 years.

Falcon defenders — especially Lucas Yale, Nick Tenuta, Trapper Rawls and Luke Hodson — kept Blaine out of the end zone for most of the first quarter. The Falcons scored first on a safety when David Monell sacked Blaine's Jordan McCarty for two points with 8:31 left in the quarter.

Falcon QB Hodson threw an interception that led to the first Blaine TD with 3:54 remaining in the quarter.

The Borderites quickly adjusted their offense and scored twice more before the half ended to put the score at 19-2.

Blaine picked up another two TDs in the third quarter for the final 33-2.

Try as they could, the Falcons were unable to contain Borderite running back Casey McCabe. McCabe ran for 190 yards for a total 1,003 on the year.

Blaine coach Jay Dodd noted it took his team awhile to adjust to the Falcon defense.

They caught us off guard defensively," he said after getting the game ball from Falcon coach Mark Hodson. "The Falcons are a well-coached team and it took awhile to get in the flow of the game; Casey was healthy and we played behind him all the way."

South Whidbey ends their season 7-3, third in the Cascade Conference.

First place Archbishop Murphy crumpled Bellingham Friday 44-0 to move a step closer to state.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates