Soccer: South Whidbey Revolution boys upend Auburn's Synergy to stay undefeated

Revolution soccer player Bryce Auburn pursues a ball during his team’s 5-0 victory over the Synergy team from Auburn.   - Suzanne Buchanan
Revolution soccer player Bryce Auburn pursues a ball during his team’s 5-0 victory over the Synergy team from Auburn.
— image credit: Suzanne Buchanan

Halfway through its spring season, the South Whidbey Revolution soccer boys seemingly cannot be stopped.

Saturday at Waterman Field, the boys crushed Synergy of Auburn 5-0.

The Revolution scored its first goal in the 20th minute of the game on a header by winger Andy Zisette from a well-placed cross from center forward Kai Da Rosa. The first goal ignited the Revolution, and they scored a second goal within five minutes when Da Rosa made it 2-0 on a well-timed through pass from Zisette. The Revolution had a slight scare near the end of the first half when the Synergy club was awarded a direct penalty shot from the 12-yard spot. The shot was high and hit the crossbar, but goalkeeper Charley Stelling was in perfect position to save the ball if it was shot a little lower.

The Revolution ended the first half leading 2-0.

To this point, the game had been played with a high level of physical contact, which is all part of the game, but Revolution players don’t allow themselves to get pushed around nor intimidated by physical play of larger players.

Da Rosa headed his second goal off a strong Zisette corner kick to the far post. Within minutes, Zisette scored his second goal off a break-away initiated from a long throw from Oliver Saunsaucie that caught the defense playing too far up.Zisette completed his hat trick on a perfectly placed goal from a pass by midfielder Lucas Leiberman between two defenders.

“The final goal was especially satisfying from a coaching standpoint, as it was started from a quick counter-attack from our defensive zone and was scored while we were playing short-handed because Cole Zink had to leave game to clean up a knee abrasion,” Swanson noted.

The Revolution finished out the final 10 minutes playing a control game.

“Zink and Jeffrey Meier did an excellent job backing up Stelling in goalkeeping duties during the final 25 minutes of the second half,” the coach said.

“Our boys understand that they may lose to teams with greater soccer skills or team tactics, but they do not want to lose because another team out-hustled them on the field,” Swanson added.

Despite the string of five straight wins, the team still has work to do, Swanson explained.

“We still need to improve on our team heading, particularly high balls from long punts or clearing shots,” he said. “Heading is one of the more difficult aspects of the game to master, but you cannot compete at the premier level without having it become a regular part of your arsenal.”

The Revolution plays its next game on the road against the SeaTac Saints, who sport a 13-1 record during this select season.

The Revolution’s final home game will be against a south county club at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 27 at the Langley Road soccer complex.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates