The 300 spots in the Whidbey Island Triathlon were sold out last month but there is still much work to be done to make the 22nd year of the event a success.
In addition, residents should be aware of the many road restrictions the day of the triathlon, Saturday, July 28.
South Whidbey Parks and Recreation is seeking volunteers to cover all aspects of the triathlon, from trail marshals to clean-up crew.
“Over the course of two days, we will need to fill over 100 volunteer positions,” Carrie Monforte, recreational supervisor, said. “Athletes will be looking to volunteers for encouragement, assistance and support. Volunteers are the heart of this event, and we couldn’t do it without them. Join us for a fun and rewarding experience. Please encourage your friends, family or club to volunteer with you.”
For more information on volunteering, email email@example.com or call 360-221-6788.
Those who want to help can sign up directly at http://signup.com/go/OCGWyyv
The triathlon starts with a half-mile swim in Goss Lake, followed by a 19.25-mile bike ride and then concludes with a 3.8-mile run through the trails of Community Park.
For information on the triathlon, visit www.whidbeytriathlon.com
A number of road restrictions will be in effect:
• 7:30–9:15 a.m.: Lakeside Drive will be one way only (northwest-bound) between Traverse Road and Pintail Road. (No street parking except select volunteers.)
• 9:15-11:15 a.m.: Traverse Road and Lakeside Drive will be closed.
• 9:30 a.m. to noon: DeBruyn Road will be closed between Saratoga Road and 3rd Street; 2nd Street will be closed between Park and DeBruyn.
• 9:45 a.m. to noon: There will be limited turns from Bayview Road onto Andreason Road.
Also, drivers will encounter runners and bicyclists using the following routes from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.:
• Lone Lake Road between Andreason Road and Saratoga Road,
• Goss Lake Road between Traverse Road and Lone Lake Road,
• Saratoga Road between Lone Lake Road and Park Road,
• DeBruyn Road between Saratoga Road and 3rd Street,
• 3rd Street/Brooks Hill Road/Bayview Road between DeBruyn Road and Andreason Road,
• Park Road between Saratoga Road and Camano Road,
• Camano Avenue/Langley Road between Park Road and Sports Complex Park, and
• Maxwelton Road between Langley Road and South Whidbey High School.
For more information about the event, please contact the district office at 360-221-5484.