Nobody was injured and a fire in a bedroom was quickly contained Friday night, according to Oak Harbor Fire Chief Ray Merrill.
The cause of the modest conflagration was determined to be accidental.
Merrill said the fire occurred about 6:30 p.m. at a tri-level home on Southwest Eighth Avenue. The homeowner was downstairs when his daughter ran down the steps and told him that her bedroom was on fire. He ran up the stairs and hit the flames with a dry chemical fire extinguisher, which likely slowed the progress of the fire. He then closed the door of the bedroom, which was key.
“Closed doors do help control fires,” Merrill said.
The original call was for a fire with the possibility of the house being engulfed, which did not turn out to be the case. Merrill said the Oak Harbor Fire Department responded with two engines and a ladder truck, Navy Fire responded with an engine and North Whidbey Fire and Rescue came along with an engine.
The response took four minutes and the fire was contained in five minutes, Merrill said.
The residents were able to remain in the house with the scorched bedroom.
Merrill said he wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more such incidents while everyone is home during the pandemic.