A possible mishap with a lawn mower sparked a half-acre fire on Green Valley Road on North Whidbey on Friday morning, according to North Whidbey Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Steve Lacy.
Firefighters responded to a 30-by-50-foot grass fire around 11:30 a.m. Lacy said a homeowner was mowing his field and possibly hit a rock that sparked the flames.
The wind carried is west and it spread to a neighboring pasture.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in 20 minutes. Crews from North Whidbey Fire and Rescue and the Navy’s firefighting team continued to mop up the fire for another 30 minutes to put out hot spots and soak the perimeter.
No one was injured and no houses were damaged.
Island County is currently in a Type II burn ban until further notice because of the high fire danger because of the dry conditions. No outdoor burning of natural debris, including recreational fires and the use of consumer fireworks, is allowed.