Langley considering toilet experiment at Seawall Park

The portable restrooms would be part of an experiment running from May through October.

The Village by the Sea is considering funding a pilot project that would place temporary restrooms by the sea.

Langley’s Parks and Open Spaces Commission has been researching the cost and location of porta-potties in Seawall Park.

At a city council meeting last week, Councilmember Peter Morton, the liaison for the commission, presented the group’s findings for the proposal.

The proposed experiment would run May through October and cost approximately $1,370. The restrooms would be located in a “secluded” location at the bottom of the stairs leading up to Boy and Dog Park.

Because of the chosen site, the city needs easement access agreements in order to service the restrooms.

A truck would drive down Anthes Avenue to Seawall Park, and then across a small strip of land to the city’s seaside property where the toilets would be located.

Mayor Tim Callison said the city would need to check with four to five property owners to sign easement agreements.

Most of the council was amenable towards moving forward with the project. Councilmember Dominique Emerson, however, expressed concerns about COVID-19 affecting the project and the overall aesthetics of the restrooms, as well as the priority of the project listed in the budget.

Morton assured her the restrooms would be in a discreet location. Money from the city’s general fund would finance the project.

Councilmember Thomas Gill said the toilets would be a good idea for people with limited mobility. Although the city currently has permanent public restrooms located on Anthes Avenue, the steps leading up from Seawall Park to First Street are numerous and can be tiring to climb.

Morton said he would report the council’s sentiments back to the Parks and Open Spaces Commission, which would make an official report about the pilot project.

More in News

Employment picture returning to normal in county

Island County unemployment is slowing returning closer to normal as pandemic restrictions ease.

Oak Harbor man charged for brandishing pellet gun

The 21-year-old man is facing a felony charge.

Report: Tax funded 6.6 miles of road work

There are more street improvement projects on the way.

Wright’s Crossing loses 5th appeal

Wright’s Crossing’s proposed housing development south of Oak Harbor lost was blocked again.

Whidbey man shot to death in Whatcom County

Bellingham woman was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of murder.

Photo by Christina Whiting
Peter Smith-Case of Case Farm sells some veggies to some interested buyers at the opening Saturday of the Coupeville Farmers Market this past weekend.
Island’s farmers market season gets underway

The Coupeville Farmers Market opened last weekend and more markets are coming up.

Fire department holding commissioner elections

South Whidbey Fire/EMS seeks a new fire commissioner to fill Position 3,… Continue reading

SmileMobile bound for Langley

The SmileMobile is headed to the South Whidbey April 12-14. The dentist… Continue reading

Stefen Bosworth, co-owner and chef of Savory, cooks up some squid ink linguine. (Photo by Kira Erickson/South Whidbey Record)
Couple ventures into restaurant business

“Eclectic comfort food” is on the menu at Langley’s newest restaurant, Savory.

Most Read