Rape charge dismissed against man, 35, in Freeland case

Prosecutors recently dismissed charges against a 35-year-old man accused of raping a woman …

Prosecutors recently dismissed charges against a 35-year-old man accused of raping a woman in her Freeland home in August.

The case may not be over, however. The charges were dismissed without prejudice so they can be refiled in the future if the evidence supports them, according to Island County Chief Deputy Criminal Prosecutor Eric Ohme.

The case is still under investigation, Ohme said. Investigators are awaiting results from the crime lab and need to follow up with additional potential witnesses. Completing the investigation will take time beyond speedy trial rules, so the case was dismissed.

Also, Ohme said the investigation revealed exculpatory evidence.

Prosecutors originally charged Jorge Ordonez in Island County Superior Court Aug. 24 with first-degree rape and first-degree burglary with sexual motivation.

The 51-year-old woman reported to police at about 10 p.m., Aug. 20, that she was the victim of a “possible” rape, according to court documents.

The woman claimed that a stranger, later identified as Ordonez, knocked on the door of her Useless Bay home when she was on the telephone. Ordonez couldn’t speak English and wrote “Lolita” on a piece of paper. She claimed he pulled her into her house and repeatedly sexually assaulted her.

A deputy saw Ordonez outside the woman’s house the next day and arrested him. Speaking through a translator, Ordonez denied assaulting the woman. He told detectives that he was mowing a neighbor’s yard when he saw the woman lying on the ground outside and helped her into her garage, according to the detective’s report.

More in News

Ex-county inmate sues over jail fall

An inmate at Clallam Bay Corrections Center is suing Island County over… Continue reading

Man sentenced for assaults, resisting arrest

A Clinton man who assaulted a woman and teenage girl and wrestled… Continue reading

Photo provided
                                The Haller House is one of the historic properties that received a portion of the $1 million Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve preservation grant.
$1 million in state historic preservation grants awarded in Ebey’s Reserve

A $1-million grant from the state will go a long ways toward… Continue reading

Fellow Clinton resident challenges Smith

A longtime nurse and Whidbey resident is challenging incumbent Rep. Norma Smith,… Continue reading

Four seek board seat in conservation district

Whidbey voters registered with the county will have a chance to decide… Continue reading

MLK event focuses on Poor People’s Campaign

Most school children in the United States learn about Martin Luther King… Continue reading

Freeland pot shop makes big donation to coalition

Last month, Island Herb offered the Whidbey Homeless Coalition the challenge of… Continue reading

Whidbey crafters sew pouches for Australian wildlife

In some cases, social media really can serve as the great unifier.… Continue reading

Neighbors oppose improved trail access

A proposed trail and parking project to improve access to a trail… Continue reading

Most Read