Young seal rescued near Mutiny Bay

Baby ‘Elwood’ stuck after swimming up storm water pipe

An unusual kind of pup was rescued by first responders Tuesday night.

South Whidbey Fire/EMS responded to a call at about 7:27 p.m. April 27 involving a young, trapped elephant seal near Old Beach Road.

Island County Sheriffs deputies, Langley police and a representative of the Orca Network also responded to the call.

The six-week-old seal, identified as “Elwood” by the Orca Network, managed to swim through a large pipe at least 50 feet in length that led to the vault for a stormwater drainage system of a nearby condominium complex in the Mutiny Bay area, according to South Whidbey Fire/EMS.

Young Elwood was not able to retreat and treaded water in the vault for an estimated six to eight hours. He was discovered by a resident of the condominiums who heard unusual splashing and noises of desperation and contacted first responders.

The fire department began the rescue by hoisting down a ladder for Elwood to rest against. Next, a cargo net was maneuvered around the seal. Using the net, he was carried back to the shore on a stretcher. He was unable to swim away because of exhaustion.

A veterinarian from the mainland arrived on scene to check on Elwood, who was bundled in towels and placed in the bed of a truck.

Garry Heinrich, the investigator and volunteer coordinator for the Central Puget Sound Marine Mammal Stranding Network, said fluids were administered to the seal to stave off dehydration.

Heinrich, who is familiar with the young seal’s antics, said Elwood was found sitting on someone’s deck a few days ago. He has been “cruising” around Mutiny Bay, where he was born in mid-March to Ellie, the elephant seal matriarch who has given birth to a handful of pups over the years.

The last Heinrich heard, Elwood was resting on the beach after his latest adventure Tuesday night. He was tagged on his tail flipper so investigators can keep track of his movements.

“He seems fine, just tired,” Heinrich said.

Marine mammals, when found on the beach, should not be disturbed. Right now elephant seals are going through a molting period, but Heinrich said it is nothing to be concerned about.

Although he is still considered a pup, Elwood is 200 pounds and nearly four and a half feet long.

“He’s so darn cute,” Heinrich said.

There are currently a few theories floating around out there about why Elwood decided to “cruise” into the pipe.

“He must have been meandering about and found a hole,” Heinrich said.

South Whidbey Fire/EMS Deputy Chief of Operations and Safety Terry Ney said he had heard theories that there was an orca just off the beach that Elwood may have been escaping from.

Gaylon Whiteside, a resident of the condo who watched Elwood’s rescue, wondered aloud if maybe the seal saw a fish and decided to follow it into the pipe.

Whiteside said he was amazed by the first responders’ efforts to save Elwood from the water vault. He noted one of the firefighters was holding the seal “like he was holding a child.”

“I suspect some people might think this might be a waste of time, but we have to take care of nature because nature takes care of us,” Whiteside said.

Firefighters used a net to hoist Elwood out of the stormwater vault.

Firefighters used a net to hoist Elwood out of the stormwater vault.

First responders carried the seal to shore on a stretcher, but due to exhaustion, he was unable to swim right away. He has spent the last few days resting on the beach before going back into the ocean.

First responders carried the seal to shore on a stretcher, but due to exhaustion, he was unable to swim right away. He has spent the last few days resting on the beach before going back into the ocean.

More in News

Annie Philp, center, leads student counter-protesters. (Photo by Karina Andrew/Whidbey News-Times)
Students counter a protest against social justice education

Hundreds of demonstrators lined the street in front of South Whidbey High School Friday afternoon.

A banner celebrating the South Whidbey High School class of 2021 was vandalized, and the Black Lives Matter banner next to it was stolen. (Photo provided by Josephine Moccia)
Black Lives Matter sign stolen from in front of school

A banner celebrating 2021 graduates was also left vandalized.

Port gets $100K grant to improve broadband

Island County commissioners voted last week to approve Port of Coupeville’s application for funding.

Not a friend: Man accused of trying to force way into home

Around 7 a.m. on June 13, a Riepma Avenue resident woke up to find Darren E. Hartman in her yard.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
Deception Pass Bridge wrapped up as repairs, painting continue

The sheeting prevents paint chips and sandblasting materials from falling into the water.

Jeremy Jarvis works on his mural in Langley. (Photo by Kira Erickson/Whidbey News-Times)
Traveling muralist bringing color to community center

Jeremy Jarvis has begun work on a mural on the courtyard wall of the South Whidbey Community Center.

Jackie Alvarez, a Whidbey Camano Land Trust volunteer, helps clear a new trail at Strawberry Point Preserve Trail June 10. (Photo by Karina Andrew/Whidbey News-Times)
Whidbey organizations offer outdoor volunteer opportunities

The Whidbey Camano Land Trust and the Whidbey Institute both have events this Saturday, June 19.

Coupeville man killed in weekend motorcycle accident

A Coupeville man was killed in a motorcycle accident in Central Whidbey… Continue reading

South Whidbey man accused of violating no-contact order

On June 3, seven deputies with the Island County Sheriff’s Office and a Langley police officer responded to the residence to arrest 20-year-old Christopher Allen.

Most Read