South Whidbey collects 1st win at Tipoff Classic / Boys basketball

After losing to Vashon Island 55-42 in the opening game of the Tipoff Classic in Friday Harbor Friday, Nov. 30, the South Whidbey High School boys basketball team bounced back to defeat Friday Harbor 64-46 Saturday, Dec. 1.

The Falcons (1-2) will try to keep up the momentum when they play at University Prep (1-0) at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 4.

The next home game is against island rival Oak Harbor (1-1) at 6:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7.

Vashon Island went up 13-9 in the first quarter and increased its lead to 24-15 at halftime.

The Falcons went on a 13-4 run behind a full-court press in the third period and tied the game at 28.

However, “mental lapses caused some turnovers,” according to coach Mike Washington, and Vashon Island recovered to take a 41-30 lead after three periods.

Only three players scored for South Whidbey. Kody Newman tallied 18 points and Dexter Jokinen and Carson Wrightson had 12 each. Wrightson also collected eight rebounds.

Tommy Delargy led Vashon Island with 20.

The Falcons committed twice as many turnovers, 14-7, as Vashon Island, while the Pirates out-shot South Whidbey 50 percent to 38.5.

In the win over Friday Harbor, Sterling Patton popped in four three-pointers in the first quarter to counter 11 points by the Wolverine’s Marshall Clark as the Falcons raced to a 22-12 lead.

Six different Falcons scored in the second period and South Whidbey took a 37-27 lead into the locker room.

Newman scored 10 points in the third quarter and South Whidbey went up 53-39.

Patton added two more three-balls after the opening period and finished with 20 points. Newman had 17, Wrightson 14, Jokinen 6, Jacob Ng 3, Nick Young 2 and Levi Buck 2.

Wrightson hauled in nine rebounds, and Newman collected five assists and three steals.

South Whidbey used a full-court, man-to-man press most of the game, Washington said, and the defensive effort led to good scoring opportunities.

Clark paced Friday Harbor with a game-high 21 points.