A fire claimed a Cultus Bay trailer Friday afternoon.
Nobody was injured in the incident, as the lone occupant wasn’t inside when the blaze began.
South Whidbey Fire/EMS responded to a call for a fully engulfed trailer around 11:15 a.m. on Cultus Bay Road just north of Sandy Hook Drive. Propane tanks were near the fire, but they didn’t burst.
“We could smell the propane tanks as we arrived at the scene,” Deputy Chief Mike Cotton said. “We could barely see the flames among the trees, but the trailer was fully consumed. It went pretty quickly.”
The trailer burned within 20 minutes.
The homeowner, Hunter Brydges, said he was boiling tea when the fire started.
“My tea was on the stove, that absolutely could have been the cause,” Brydges said. “I don’t see what else could have started it.”
Brydges, a Clinton resident for 20 years, said the trailer nestled in the woods overlooking Cultus Bay was a temporary residence. Having recently moved out of a Clinton home, Brydges was in the process of building a new home on the property where the fire occurred, and was living in the trailer for the time being.
He described it as his “construction trailer.”