Years ago our family dog of 12 years died as the result of neighborhood fireworks. He was always traumatized by the sound of fireworks and had to be confined and given tranquilizers every year for several days around July 4.
The year he died he escaped from our home after an early fireworks explosion and ran away into the woods.
He was lost for almost a week. As a result of injuries sustained in his panicked state, he did not recover after he was found and returned to us.
For this reason, the news that Langley is considering a ban on fireworks is very welcome.
I support the idea of a centralized controlled area for community members to celebrate the holiday without the noise and pollution of fireworks. It would be a safer alternative for all of us and our pets.
I applaud the City Council for considering this proposal.