Deadline extended for students to ‘opt out’

South Whidbey High School juniors and seniors have another week to “opt out” of allowing the military to have their personal information. School officials have extended the deadline from Oct. 1 to Oct. 10 for students to notify the district of their intention to opt out.

South Whidbey High School juniors and seniors have another week to “opt out” of allowing the military to have their personal information.

School officials have extended the deadline from Oct. 1 to Oct. 10 for students to notify the district of their intention to opt out.

Each fall, high schools transmit student information to military recruiters, including addresses, phone numbers and other information. Juniors and seniors can choose not to allow the school to release their personal information if they complete an “opt out” form.

In an effort to give all eligible students a chance to opt out, all South Whidbey High School juniors and seniors were sent an opt-out form by mail.

There are a total of 304 students — 153 juniors and 151 seniors — at South Whidbey High School and 59 at Bayview School who are eligible to opt out, and at Whidbey Island Academy there are 12 juniors and seniors.

The total number of South Whidbey High School juniors and seniors who have opted out increased significantly from 2004 to 2005.

In 2004, only 70 students out of 356 chose not to have their personal information forwarded to the military.

Last year at South Whidbey High School, 107 students out of 320 11th- and 12th-graders signed opt-out letters. At Bayview School, 17 out of 41 eligible students opted out.

School officials say it is the increased publicity, both locally and nationally, that raised the consciousness that the option was available.

“In the past we have sent the opt-out letter home attached to the Falcon newsletter,” said Jan Witsoe, registrar at South Whidbey High School.

“This year we direct mailed a letter to the homes of all juniors and seniors,” she said.

Witsoe said forms are available at the district office.

The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 requires schools to release the names, addresses and phone numbers of juniors and seniors or face the risk of losing federal aid.

Gayle Saran can be reached at 221-5300 or gsaran@southwhidbeyrecord.com.