Dryer fire extinguished

A swift response by South Whidbey firefighters saved a structure after a dryer caught fire Monday afternoon.

South Whidbey Fire/EMS personnel arrived to a building near a home on Spyglass Drive in Freeland to find flames emanating from the appliance, damaging a nearby wall, according to Deputy Chief Wendy Moffatt.

She said once they arrived, it took only a few minutes to extinguish the flames.

“They worked really fast to be able to stop that fire,” Moffatt said.

No one was injured, and the resident who reported the fire evacuated the building after calling. One engine and about six people responded.

Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue also responded, but Moffatt said their help wasn’t needed.