Langley City Council members are hoping for quiet skies above the Village by the Sea this year now that a fireworks ban within city limits has gone into effect.
Councilmembers put the kibosh on shells, smoke bombs, sparklers and their ilk last spring in a 4-1 vote. Councilmember Thomas Gill was the only nay vote to the ban after asking his peers to consider banning only certain fireworks he deemed more disruptive.
Councilmember Craig Cyr asked staff during Monday night’s meeting to send a notice to property owners, namely vacation rental property owners, about the change ahead of July 4 celebrations. Staff replied that they had already sent out flyers to businesses about the new ban but could send out notices again.
Police Chief Donald Lauer said officers would only issue warnings this year unless those lighting pyrotechnics refused to stop. The city’s ordinance carries a fine of $50 on the first offense and $200 for each subsequent offense.
Lauer said officers would ask a person to leave Langley and go somewhere else where the pyrotechnics are welcome, such as Freeland. Langley residents should call 911 if they see or hear fireworks going off so officers can respond, Lauer said.
Fireworks are only allowed from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m., July 3-5 in unincorporated areas of Island County, except on the holiday when revelers have until midnight to light off displays.
However, fireworks can be banned in unincorporated areas of the county if the Island County sheriff declares a Type II burn ban.
Celebrators in Coupeville can only set off fireworks from 9 a.m. to midnight on July 4.
Those in Oak Harbor have more opportunities for the dazzling displays. People can light “safe and safe” fireworks from 9 a.m.-11 p.m on June 28-July 5, except on July 4 when the fun continues until midnight. Oak Harbor will also host a fireworks show at Windjammer Park this year.