New boat ramp plan gets approval from board, Simon family

For years, the improvement of the Langley marina and Phil Simon Park has been giving city officials and residents alike headaches. Now the city has come up with a final draft of the design that has satisfied the city, government agencies and the Phil Simon family alike.

For years, the improvement of the Langley marina and Phil Simon Park has been giving city officials and residents alike headaches.

Now the city has come up with a final draft of the design that has satisfied the city, government agencies and the Phil Simon family alike.

Construction will begin January, maybe sooner, said planning consultant Donna Keeler.

With the approval from the planning board, Keeler expects to obtain the final permit approval on the park plan from city council, the Department of Ecology and other agencies by Aug. 30.

The Planning Advisory Board gave the go-ahead for the revised version of the plans Wednesday.

“If we start in January, we can be done by next summer,” Keeler said.

Budget restrains

The project had been returned to the planning board because city staff determined that substantial design changes warranted a new review.

The design was scaled back because of rising building costs.

“Construction costs have skyrocketed,” Keeler said.

Requests and restrictions by government agencies such as the Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation, which is partially paying for the project, also called for design changes.

Work in phases

Now, the project will be implemented in two phases.

During phase one, the city will focus on the repair and replacement of the boat launch, the removal of 11 creosote pilings, a re-configured, unpaved parking lot, removal of the bulkhead south of the boat launch, a small park with a trail to the beach and ADA access.

Phase two will be implemented as more money becomes available. It includes possibly paving of the parking lot, a new drainage system underneath the parking lot, picnic tables, lighting and a kiosk. Chances are good to secure more grant money if phase one is viewed as a success, Keeler explained.

A formally approved boardwalk north of the boat ramp has been removed because a federal agency had concerns about the impact it would have on fish habitat.

Also due to a federal agency’s request, existing logs on the beach will no longer be anchored as originally proposed. Keeler said the logs won’t be swept away except when severe weather strikes.

“It would have to be an extreme storm,” she told the board.

The plan still includes components from the original design, such as more parking located toward the bluff, and pulling the park area closer to the beach.

Original design out

The Berger Partnership, the design group that drew up the original plans, is out of the picture.

The city decided not to use the company’s services anymore after its cost estimate for the redesigned project came back at $500,000. The city only has about $340,000 to spend, Keeler said.

The revised plans were completed by city staff.

Simon family happy

However, one of the key elements will be the Phil Simon Memorial Park.

Phil Simon, the grandson of the man in whose memory the park was dedicated, said he is satisfied with the latest design.

“After 35 years of neglect, we are happy to see something done,” he said.

The family is especially pleased with the relocation of the park area from its current place, nestled against the bluff.

In 1974, the land comprising most of the waterfront was given to the public by the family.

There were a few strings attached. Public access to the park and the waterfront was to be guaranteed in perpetuity.

“I like this plan because it moves the park where it is used, not neglected,” Simon said.

“I was kind of grumpy for the past six months, but I would support this plan,” he said.

However, he asked the city to have proper signs at the park. Simon also added that the money budgeted for removing the bulkhead may be spent better in other places as the movement of sand takes care of the issue over time.

“As a point of history, the sand level is up at least 8-10 feet from the 1950s,” he said.

Kids get involved

Keeler also told the board that the city is working with the Adopt-a-Stream Foundation, an Everett-based nonprofit group that was hired to monitor the plantings, to involve Langley Middle School students in the monitoring process.

“It could be an awesome science project,” she said. Students would come down to the marina with their teacher and monitor the development and health of plantings.

The board unanimously approved the project.

“I am delighted with what’s before us right now,” Planning Advisory Board member Mike Hill said.

“That’s great work under the pressure of a tight budget,” added board chairman Hal Seligson.

Project shapes up

The project had been moving slowly due to a conflict between the city and the Port of South Whidbey about funding and ownership issues.

The port has set aside $152,100 to match a grant given to Langley by the state Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation for renovations to the boat ramp, pier and Phil Simon Park, plus better parking and restrooms, landscaping, picnic tables and a boardwalk. Including private donations, there is $337,000 available to complete the work.

Michaela Marx Wheatley can be reached at 221-5300 or mmarxwheatley@southwhidbeyrecord.com