A Greenbank family awoke early Saturday morning to an electrical fire and was able to safety exit the home.
Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue responded to a call at 1:12 a.m. to the residence on Mastodon Drive, according to a press release.
The home did not have working smoke alarms, but one of the occupants awoke to discover the fire, which originated in an electrical outlet.
Central Whidbey Island Fire Chief Ed Hartin said the small fire was contained to one wall in the master bedroom and damage was limited.
The occupants tried extinguishing the fire themselves at first, but the two adults and two children left the building after the smoke became unbearable, the release states.
Doors and windows were left open, which helped feed the fire.
Firefighters extinguished the flames within 10 minutes of arriving at the scene, Hartin said. Homeowners repaired the damage Sunday.
If Central Whidbey residents don’t have working smoke alarms, CWIFR will install them free of charge.
• For information about having smoke alarms installed, call 360-678-3602.