A Langley road construction project has been halted due to complaints from business owners on First Street.
In a King 5 TV news segment, edit. owner David Price told news reporters he lost 50 percent of his revenue each day because of the construction, which Mayor Tim Callison said lasted three or four days. Price and other First Street merchants argued that the construction came at an inconvenient time of year, with the holiday shopping season in full swing.
In a letter to the editor of The South Whidbey Record, Price said the scheduling of this project showed “a stunning lack of concern and understanding for our friends and neighbors who live, work and shop in Langley.” He added the mayor’s response had been “callous indifference.”
Callison agreed the construction did cause some backup and three or four parking spaces were taken up, but he said parking was still available further down the street.
The construction, which is slated to be finished by Jan. 27, consists of creating ADA-accessible crosswalks near Wharf Street and Boy and Dog Park.
Callison said public discussion has been an important part of the planning process.
Price said in his letter that some merchants received this notice from the city about construction beginning, but most did not.
Following the outcry, the First Street construction work has been suspended until after Christmas.